Tuesday, April 15, 2014

"Cheer on Reading"

 

I love to read. That is no surprise to anyone who knows me. Ever since I was a little girl I had a book in my hand or somewhere near me. If I am going to be waiting any amount of time, I read. If I was on the school bus, I read. If I couldn't sleep, I read. Under my covers with a flashlight so my mom didn't see, but I still read. If I was in a good spot in a book and didn't want to go to bed I would sit on the pot and pretend I needed to go just so I could read. Yes I was, and am still addicted to reading. I will read anything. 
 
Reading one night a few months back.
And guess what, a mom addicted to reading is creating kids who LOVE to read! Every night we read at least 2 books and sometimes more if it's not late and the kids can't pick their favorites. The 7 year old has asked Santa for chapter books for the past 2 years and constantly asks for new books. The 5 year old has all her hand me downs (and mine since my mom kept most of ours) and helps choose his books (and his sisters) during our weekly library trip. I am amazed at how much these kids want to learn to read!
 
So guess how excited they were when they saw a book in the box of Chocolate Cheerios this morning! They have already asked to make a special trip to the store this week to stock up on cereal with books in it! Great job Cheerios! I love that this company is trying to make a difference in kids lives! 
 
Not only is there a book in the box, their is a fun activity on the back. Our box had this book and this activity in it. And the kids enjoyed both of them! And have checked out a couple other activities on the Cheerios Cheer On Reading Website.

 Through Cheerios website and their partners I have learned that we are more blessed than we ever realized to have as many books at our reach as we do. We can make a difference.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/63/98/88/6398880c8c80d3bd0c87efe295012748.jpg
Picture from the Cheerios Pinterest Page

 

Platefull Co-Op -- Cheer on Reading with Cheerios!

This year, Cheerios™ is celebrating the 12th Anniversary of their commitment to literacy through such programs as Cheerios Cheer On Reading and Spoonfuls of Stories™. Cheerios created the program in 2003 to help get books into kids’ hands and encourage parents and kids to read together.
Look for specially-marked packages of original Cheerios, Multi Grain Cheerios Peanut Butter, Chocolate Cheerios, and Apple Cinnamon Cheerios for in-pack storybooks for children ages 2 to 8 years-old, specially printed in both English and Spanish. This year’s book offerings from Cheerios – all by Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing – are:
  • “That’s What I’d Do” by Jewel
  • “Bear Says Thanks” by Karma Wilson
  • “1-2-3 Peas” by Keith Baker
  • “Chicks Run Wild” by Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen
  • “Please, Baby Please” by Spike Lee & Tonya Lewis Lee
  • …and returning favorite “Jump!” by Scott M. Fischer
And for the second year in a row, Cheerios will also feature a chapter book for older readers inside specially-marked boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios. This year’s book, “Phineas L. MacGuire…Gets Cooking,” was written for exclusive release in Cheerios boxes by Frances O'Roark Dowell, author of the “Phineas” series. The book is written in three parts so there are three to collect. 
(Information provided by Cheerios and the PlateFull Co-Op)

Disclosure: All opinions are my own even though I was provided information and a prize pack from Cheerios and PlateFull Co-Op to inspire me